Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to Sunnyside


Now that we're back from Rome, there's no reason we shouldn't keep up the habit of blogging. Will it be as full of exotic locations or as action-packed? Maybe not, but neither is our life. So it will be just as real.

We returned from Rome last Tuesday night (3 hours late) and after a brief visit/couch-nap at Pat's parent's house, we were back in our apartment. So good to sleep in our bed again.

Wednesday was spent unpacking (me) and going back to work (Pat) then out to dinner with Pat's parents, sister and her husband for Mexican food. Yum - spice! Something we missed in Italy. Thursday I got a chance to check out the co-op pool (nice!) and Friday I flew to Minneapolis to surprise Melissa at her bridal shower.

After a surprise of my own - Pat driving me to the airport - and a 2 hour flight delay, I was off. M's soon-to-be in-laws picked me up at the airport and we stayed up late gabbing. The shower was being hosted at their house, so we got up early and decorated the house & made tea sandwiches. I hid out in the basement until everyone arrived then came up to surprise Melissa. Fun shower - very laid back with good food and music.

After the shower we moved my stuff over to M's house, which was freshly cleaned by her in-the-know fiance Andy.

M and I went to the mall to look at all her registry selections. Back at home, some of their friends came over to play Guitar Hero and scopa (Italian card game I brought them as a souvenir) and eat pizza. Way too many renditions of Surrender later, we finally turned in after 3AM.

Sunday we walked the art fair, shopped and M and I went to check out the wedding location. Lucky for us they were setting up for another wedding so we got lots of good ideas and outed her wedding planner's lies. Much relieved, we met A for Vietnamese food - make your own rice wraps. Then another night in with scopa.

Monday was my flight back. M and I dropped A off at a meeting and rushed for breakfast on the way to the airport. I got there really late only to find my flight delayed 2 hours. That made all 3 of my flights this week. Ugh. I hung out with my fun seatmate from North Dakota at the bar until they let us board again. Despite the delay, we had a fun flight and I'm going to try to go to his play next month. Pat picked me up at the airport and we went out to De Mole for yet more Mexican food.

I felt much better after spending the weekend with M. She was still stressed by the wedding planning but hopefully we talked through most of the stuff. I can't believe it's only 2 months away.

Tuesday was another day of unpacking, cleaning the apartment and uploading photos. Then I went for a walk in Central Park and met Pat at Sue & Dan's place for dinner. We ordered some fried chicken and gabbed all night. Most importantly, we got to meet their adorable born-while-we-were-gone baby Henry!

Very cute, plus my first subject for monthly baby photos. It's an idea Pat had that I may try to market - I'd sell a year of photos for babies and do one session per month.

Sounds like a good shower gift, no?


Wednesday we had a huge storm early in the morning. Flooded our boiler room & knocked out the hot water. But Pat and I persevered.

He went to work and I braved the trip to Union Sq. Actually the 7 was fine, but I had to take the bus downtown since the 4/5/6 were out of service and other trains were rare. I'd gone in to check out the Greenmarket since we were having John & Vicki over for dinner.

So much to chose from - I ended up with kirby cucumbers, boston lettuce, heirloom cherry tomatoes, sweet white corn on the cob & red-skinned baby potatoes. The meat didn't look fantastic so I went to Trader Joe's instead. After the long-ass trip home replete with chatty tourists, I went to the pool for a while and then took a bunch of food photos.

I cooked and Pat came home for pre-guest cleaning. J & V came over and we had so much fun catching up. They brought a peack-raspberry cobbler V had baked for dessert. Another late night, this time with Averna.

Thursday Nihad's came over for sushi and to finalized the details of M's NYC shower we're holding here next weekend.


Friday more time by the pool then Island Burgers eaten at the bar next door watching the Mets game with Pat. Mark met us there and we went downtown to meet Pete, Nate and Ryan for more drinks.

Saturday was a BBQ at P's folks' house & Sunday we walked to LIC and hung out at Gantry Park.

Today was lazy for me, after a night of bad sleep. But I talked to Katie - who's moving to North Carolina next month - and picked up dinner at Butcher Block.

This week looks like a good one - preparing for M's visit, shower & bachelorette party, talking to a couple of photo agents, going to an industry party Friday.


No comments: